Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Minimalist Closet Update

Back on January 11th I wrote about my closet purge, the first significant step in my minimizing journey. If you missed it, you can read or re-read here: http://jonathanandlyndsy.blogspot.com/2015/01/becoming-minimalist-downsizing-closet.html
When I placed my clothes back on their new black velvet hangers, I hung them up backwards so that I could track which items I had worn. Once they were washed and placed back in the closet, the hanger was turned the other direction. (J has done this each time we've moved or changed seasonal clothing out- it works great to encourage the purge!)

Well today, March 10th (58 days later) I finally wore the last piece in my closet that was on a backwards facing hanger. In the last two months, not once have I felt that I didn't have enough options of what to wear. (In fact, I've ordered another free 'sell bag' from Twice and removed additional items that just weren't fitting me right and I pulled out of the closet to pass on). In the last two months, nobody has commented about the repeat pants or tops I've worn.

A lot of friends have reached out in the last couple of months and commented or questioned about this minimizing effort. My enthusiastic response?  You have to try it! Life changing. The clothing closet was the first and best step for me. I love picking out things that are mostly business/ business casual to wear 7 days a week that I feel good in. I have not missed the old items nor the abundance.

No comments:

Post a Comment