Monday, June 6, 2016

Celebrating a decade: Friendiversary

Facebook reminded Jonathan and I this week that June 1st was our 10 year friendiversary. It was pretty awesome. They captured a few highlights along the decade that we've been "Facebook friends" with our real friendship starting only a couple of months previous to that, but over email. Neither of us were on Facebook at the time and after our cohort members encouraged people to join before we arrived in Texas, we jumped on the wagon. So, after emailing back and forth with this guy for close to three months, not talking on the phone and having no idea what he looks like..... these are the first images I see to be introduced to the one and only Jonathan Manz. 



June 1, 2006 ( a couple of back and forth email exchanges, excerpts copied from longer emails)

J: So I have quickly realized why I was hesitant to join Facebook.  I have already been tagged to a photo that I don't think would be exactly Baylor friendly.  Thankfully you can remove tags that other people put up.


L: I'm glad you clarified that- I was getting a little worried about your drunken frat party photos up there ;)

J: Now let me clarify.  In none of the pictures you see on Facebook am I drunk.  Last week we went and saw an 80s metal cover band and that is where those pictures came from.  We all dressed the part.  Trust me, I don't normally go out in black wife-beaters and bandanas...and it is pretty rare (if ever) to see me drunk. 

L: First I'll say this- it is weird when you've been talking to someone and a month later you see a picture of them. Not that your picture looks unlike what I envisioned in my head, it is just weird to think I have a personality identified in my head, but without a body. So now I have a picture and it will probably be weird again when I associate your voice with everything else in July! I don't have any internet friendships that have begun in that way. I'm a face to face person, none of that random web befriending. 


And if you are wondering what were the first images Jonathan saw of me... I think I made a better first impression ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment