Sunday, May 31, 2015

More Purging

I have had a surprising amount of people talk with me about the minimizing posts or purging articles and quotes I've posted on Facebook over the last seven months. It's been an encouraging community to continue and reflect with the value of getting rid of things you don't need. I follow a blog that helps to share weekly inspiration because this is not the norm for living and in order to carry out this counter-cultural lifestyle, encouragement and community is needed. So I wanted to drop a few updates on where my head continues to be around all that.

Our church community hosted another Freesale last week that allowed me to share a lot of our things that had collected over the past year in our attic and in my bathroom shower (used for purging storage). I didn't realize how much that pile had grown until we took it all down the week before to see what kind of shuttle system would be needed. Well, it was enough to borrow and trailer and fill it! What a great feeling to see all that stuff exit our house, and get to see many of the faces of joy and appreciation from those who walked away with for free that night. There were a few items in there that I had a hard time purging, my two winter coats (I downsized to just 1 instead of 3 this winter) and my first luggage set that I got when I was a teen. I saw a young girl carry that suitcase all around the school cafeteria that night, holding on tight until her family was done and she proudly carried it out. I wish I didn't need this kind of closing the loop gratitude to know my stuff will live on happily without me, but I do.

In addition to sending items out the door to the Freesale, I have also been gathering bags for sharing with friends.

  • One bag is Heath's clothing from last summer that no longer fits and things from this past winter he has already outgrown. We have a neighbor friend who is a year and a half behind him and the perfect size to inherit the hand-me-downs. 
  • Another box of baby clothing I found in the attic is being shipped to a friend for her kiddo to enjoy. We have not decided how large our family will be, but what I have accepted is that we have always been provided for and there is not a need for me to hold onto things when someone else could be using them right now! 
  • One box of our University of Arkansas gear that has gone unworn for the past 4 years is being shipped to friends still living in the state who will get use out of it. This was a great lesson as we anticipate another move in our future. At the time it seemed impossible to let go of these items, but as we grew our affiliation to another university and college town, there was no way we were going to wear Razorback gear for as many days of the week as we owned. (We do still each have an item that we love and wear- woo pig sooie!)
  • Another bag is filled with a few books, puzzles and toys that will be donated to Reese's daycare classroom. These items are very gently used and with other items to access similar to it at home, it seems there will be more value received by adding it to the kids' collection there where it will be well loved by many- Reese included!
  • The last bag is filled with our regular recyclables that will go to Heath's classroom at daycare. About every third week we take a similar sized bag in for him to share with the art and media center in his room. The bag typically includes: egg cartons, toilet paper or paper towel rolls, reusable plastic containers, oatmeal carton, magazines. It is really easy for us to pull these items that we'd usually put in the recycle bin outside for collection, to first get loved by some creative 4 and 5 year olds!
If you are interested in some reading, this is a great read for aspiring minimalists with kids. I'd never thought about considering the kids' play space to be like my office and what kind of non-chaos is required in order to focus. http://dallas.citymomsblog.com/why-i-got-rid-of-the-toys/

Have any of you been purging lately? Where does your stuff go? Any tips?

Up next on my challenge list/reflection is how to better control what comes in so that this purging cycle will not always have to happen.



No comments:

Post a Comment