Monday, September 9, 2019

Mending Matters

At the end of this summer I listened to an episode of my favorite podcast, The Slow Home, interviewing Katrina Rodabaugh of the book Mending Matters. I promptly put a hold on her book from our intra-state library loan system. When it arrived two weeks ago I found beautiful images to visualize what Brooke and Katrina had been talking about in mending clothing items to give them extended life. The podcast is a great listen you can find here: https://slowyourhome.com/katrinarodabaugh/

I would describe my sewing skills as limited to button repair and hand stitching ability that really only extends to said button repair, or crafting a kid's halloween costume (back when there was only 1 kid!). But the foundation of mending our clothes in order to not continue the consumer culture is one that really reverberates with me. In the minimalism/slow living culture there is talk about reducing the number of clothes owned, or investing in pieces that are ethically resourced. This conversation with Brooke and Katrina helped to challenge the ideas that fast fashion has permeated in a high consumption culture. It was enough to stretch my creativity and learn a new skill of mending!

Jonathan's dress shirt collar was significantly fraying, but the pocket was looking mighty fine to borrow for a patch!

This is one of my favorite boatneck cotton Tees that has now grown two holes in the fabric. I first stitched them both closed with needle and thread. The shirt is dark navy, but this is the underside and the camera also makes it look lighter. 

After using a seam ripper to carefully remove the pocket from J's shirt, I used straight pins to hold it in place over my two hole spots on the Tee.

I got nervous and doubted my skills to continue at this point. So I decided to practice the running stitch with the embroidery thread on the shirt that was already donating its pocket patch. And I committed to take photos and write a blog post about the process, because I knew if I had that goal I would finish the project instead of walk away. 

The underside of the patch job looks like this! Katrina offers great encouragement in her book that visible mending is unique and artistic and it is ok if your lines aren't straight or equal. This helped me to have a 'just do it' attitude because a mended shirt is one I will wear instead of a hole filled shirt I will have to toss. 

The finished project! This patch is on the back of an arm sleeve on the shirt. 
 The book introduces the Sashiko Method of mending, which uses Sashiko thread and needles, something I do not own. After googling some more, I decided to give it a try with the embroidery thread that I did already have in and a thicker needle. I think the same effect was achieved with the cost of only my time, no new supplies.
 Have you ever extended the life of something you wear through mending? Tell me about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment