Sunday, March 8, 2020

Taking Stock

Making use of my wide open Sunday afternoon to take time to reflect and write. 
Cooking less frequently than I used to and therefore enjoying it more when I do get in the kitchen.
Sipping red blend wine that I would have never tried before, previously believing I could only enjoy a sweet white wine.
Reading Henri Nouwen's The Prodigal Son book alongside others for Lent, and for fun Ariana Huffington's book "Thrive: The Third Metric to Redefining Success and Creating a Life of Well-BeingWisdom, and Wonder." 
Looking out the second floor window where sunshine is streaming in through the front yard tree.
Listening to the white noise machine across the hallway where Ande is presumedly asleep now after 2 poops and some general curious toddler behavior kept her out of her big kid bed instead of napping.
Wishing for Jonathan to feel content in this transition season of unknown. 
Enjoying my work with college students and being surrounded by adult colleagues again.
Liking the green grass, blossoming trees, and budding flowers everywhere around me in Portland.
Loving the views of Mt. Hood from my work and on my commute home. The fact that it is sometimes veiled in clouds makes it all the more special when a clear view suddenly appears and takes my breath away. My soul is filled by these landscapes.
Buying groceries through InstaCart as we navigate a new normal with my work life and appreciating every single transaction for the gift of service it is to have our family nourished without laboring in the store.
Watching This is Us, Bless this Mess, and Jack Ryan when I have the nerves for it.
Hoping our family leans in to one another when we grieve our move. 
Needing to give myself more grace than what comes naturally in this season of change. 
Wearing the same 30 items in my closet from before and seem to be getting by in the workplace and Portland climate just fine. 
Following Timothy James Music after listening to him at McMenamin's Kennedy School during free music Thursdays. 
Noticing familiar landscape like tulip trees and also new plants/flowers that could not survive Indiana winter but bloom generously here. 
Sorting the bags of kid clothes that got packed up in Indiana, but they have already outgrown since arriving here. 
Getting free things through our neighborhood's Buy Nothing group that is 500x more active than the county-wide one I was part of in Lafayette. New shoes for Ande's growing feet, a bike seat to replace my torn one, and a huge water filter with a spout that has been life changing!
Bookmarking PDXParent.com and Multnomah County Library websites for (free) calendar ideas for our family's weekends.
Coveting all the electric cars I see around me daily. 
Opening boxes in the basement at least 2x/week to try and find _____. 
Giggling at Ande's personality coming through. Today I asked her to get her clothes from the counter and change and she smiled at the corner of the room then slowly walked backwards away from me and down the hallway. 
Feeling hopeful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment