Monday, January 26, 2015

Weekend Downsize- Dresser

I went into this weekend thinking that I was going to work on our bathroom cupboards in the next step of purging. I know there is a bag of bath toys in one that has not been opened for at least a year and a half, and I'm sure a few bottles of medicine that are past due. But before I could get my hands on them I noticed a moving truck in my neighbor's driveway. I went outside to explore and learned that one of our favorite VT students and neighbor, Pat, was moving out after getting a job over winter break. His folks own the house and he was one of the first Blacksburgans we met upon moving here 3.5 years ago. Heath was not even walking when Pat came over to say hi. Since then he has had the patience of a saint to have Heath explore in his yard and crash the college student tailgate by taking time explaining how to play things like "beersbie" or "frisbee bucket." We will really miss Pat, in the same way we miss the original roommates (good community) in that house, Joe and Cheese (Steve).

As Pat was telling me about the move, he offered that there was a ton of furniture he still had to purge. I told him if he had a dresser I was looking to downsize the one in our room. He did! And that gracious guy carried it right on over and into my bedroom!
4 and 2 half drawers that are slimmer and more narrow than my big 9er

I quickly turned around and posted my 9 drawer beast of a dresser as free to a mom's group on Facebook and it was just as quickly spoken for! So my weekend efforts were placed into clearing out the larger dresser, purging the items I no longer needed/wore. I asked myself, how many socks do I really go through in a week knowing we do laundry every Saturday. I was affirmed that 15 pair of white athletic socks was about 12 too many, because I don't run nor work out or play sports with regularity that I'd need them. TMI- after two kids my chest and butt have shifted sizes too and a few bras and underwear were moved out. Asking the questions of 'do I need?' continues to become easier.

Next weekend- back to the bathroom cupboards!

No comments:

Post a Comment